Monday, March 26, 2012

Week Summary 3/19 - 3/25


Monday              
PM: 14 miles, Aerobic, South Platte Trail

Tuesday
AM: 3 miles, Recovery, South Platte Trail
AM: core strength/stretching
PM: 12 miles, 3180’, Mt. Falcon
This was the second week of the Tuesday run at Mt. Falcon. My times for both laps were faster than last week, due in part to the snow free trails. My pace for ascent 1 was 9:59 and for ascent 2 was 10:25.

Wednesday
AM: 14 miles, Aerobic, South Platte Trail
PM: 3 miles, Recovery, Cherry Creek Trail

Thursday
AM: core strength/stretching
PM: 7.25 miles, Hill Workout, Treadmill
I warmed up with an easy mile, then set the treadmill incline to 15% for one hour. I made it 5.25 miles, which equates to almost 4200’ of climbing. Not bad for a run over my lunch break.
PM: 3 miles, Recovery, Cherry Creek Trail
I went to see Dr. Stripling after work today for some active release therapy on my achilles. I've been going quite regularly over the past few months and I really think that it's been helping to prevent the tendonitis that I suffered from last year.

Friday
PM: 10 miles, Aerobic, South Platte Trail

Saturday
AM: 21 miles, 8410’, Boulder
Drew and I parked at NCAR and got an early, 6am start. We headed north on the Mesa trail and ended up summiting Flagstaff Mtn, then ran back down to Chautauqua Meadows. From there we hiked up Saddle Rock to the summit of Green Mtn, then ran south to the less crowded Bear Pk. On the way we passed a group of 6 guys led by Dave Mackey. Pretty cool. This was my first time on Bear Pk and I really enjoyed the views from the summit.

From Bear Pk we headed south to the snowy summit of South Boulder Peak then made our way down Shadow Canyon. This was another new trail for me and I really enjoyed the technical trails. You definitely have to pay attention on these trails! Shadow Canyon trail connects to the Mesa Trail which leads back to NCAR. With a couple miles to go I decided that I still wasn’t quite ready to be finished so I hiked up Fern Canyon for a second summit of Bear Pk; about 3 miles round trip and 2000 feet of climbing.

Overall this was a great day on a lot of new trails. I really enjoyed the steep, technical terrain.

Hardrock training

summit of Green Mtn

looking back towards Green Mtn from the west ridge of Bear Pk
Drew on top of Bear Pk

Sunday
AM: 4 miles, 1666’, Loveland Pass
I got out for a hike with Jess, Matt, Phil and my mom. It was a bit windy, but otherwise a beautiful day in the mountains. If we don’t get any snow this week I plan to get back to the big mountains next weekend for some running.

near Loveland Pass with Grays and Torreys in the background
PM: 4 miles, Recovery, Cherry Creek Trail

This was another good week of training. I’m really enjoying my schedule during the week, where I have some tough hill/trail runs on Tuesday and Thursday and flat/easier runs the other 3 days. I really loved getting on new trails this week and will continue to seek out fresh terrain this spring.
 
Recap
Time: 16:51
Miles: 95.6
Vert: 18,146’


1 comment:

  1. Back up Bear? You're crazy. Thanks for getting me out on some new trails.

    ReplyDelete